REMEDIATION OF THE GRAND BAČKA CANAL
The Canal Vrbas – Bezdan is located along the route of the former canal running from Bački Monoštor to Bačko Gradište in the northwest of Vojvodina and forms part of the Danube-Tisa-Danube hydro system canal network. The former canal was built in 1802 in order to shorten the Danube waterway and ensure drainage of wet soil.
Wastewater from sugar factory, meat processing factory, oil factory, metal processing industry, leather factory, pig farms and from the settlements are discharged into the Grand Bačka Canal. Wastewaters are discharged into the canal without prior waste water treatment. Storm water from Vrbas is also discharged into the canal. The canal is mostly contaminated with heavy metals, hydrocarbons and pathogenic organisms. It is estimated that some 400.000 m3 sediments are deposited in the canal at the moment. Due to sedimentation the water depth at some sections in the canal is only 30-40 cm. Navigation is impossible, water flow has been significantly reduced, and living conditions in Vrbas around the canal are unbearable.
OVERALL OBJECTIVE AND PURPOSE
The overall objective of “Remediation of Grand Bačka Canal Project” is to improve the living environment in the Municipality of Vrbas by remediation of the Grand Bačka Canal. The subject of the project is 6 km long section, from the inflow of Vrbas-Bezdan canal into the canal Bečej-Bogojevo (triangle) to the hydro-knot Vrbas.
The purpose of this project is to develop technical documentation for:
- Removal of sedimentation (approx. 400,000 m3) from the canal over 6km length at the section Vrbas-Bezdan;
- Construction of three areas for temporary disposal of the removed sediments;
- Remediation of deposited sludge sediment;
- Solution for final disposal for the treated sludge sediment.
The project is the 3rd (final) phase of a remediation programme for Grand Bačka Canal, consisting of phase 1: Extension of sewer network and collection system, phase 2: Building a WWTP and phase 3: Remediation of Grand Bačka Canal itself.
In relation to Remediation of the Grand Bačka Canal (phase 3), the PPF8 team shall develop the following project documentation:
- Feasibility Study
- Preliminary design, including Conceptual Design
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment Study
- Tender Dossier (based on the Yellow FIDIC)
- Ministry of Environmental Protection (MEP)
- Municipality of Vrbas
- PE “Vode Vojvodine”
- Provincial Secretariat for Urban Planning and Environmental Protection